13 Apr The New Dodge Demon is Finally Awake!
After keeping us waiting for more than a month, the Dodge Demon is finally making its way into the light. The New York Auto Show is in full swing this week and it’s the perfect location for Dodge to take the wraps off the new Demon. If you aren’t familiar with the Demon, it slots above the Hellcat with an insane amount of performance parts and stats.
In 2014 the announcement of the 707 hp Hellcat versions of the Challenger and the Charger rocked the muscle car world. But wait, we now have the Demon with its 840 hp. It’s not just the horsepower that makes the Demon special. You’ll see what I mean after reading Dodge’s nutty list of stats at the end of this article. I’s a total kick in the face for companies like Ford and Chevrolet.
I’ve written before about the ultimate versions of the big three muscle cars: Challenger, Camaro and Mustang. Dodge is going above and beyond to try and court a very small audience of enthusiasts. In fact, they plan on selling 3,000 Demons in the U.S. and 300 in Canada for 2018. The customer has to be able to afford a car that will be priced (I’m guessing) somewhere in the $80,000+ ballpark. Dodge’s audience for the Demon is extreme muscle car fans and likely extreme Mopar people, too. You might wonder how they expect to sell enough of them, but that’s the thing. Dodge knows they can sell the 3,300 they plan to build and just having this halo car in the lineup will increase the sales of lesser versions.
You have to give Dodge credit because it’s the only muscle car anyone is talking about this year. Many people are scouring the internet and asking me for more information. I’ve shared the teaser videos from Dodge on the Phil’s Morning Drive Twitter account. Hands down, those are some of my most popular tweets for 2017. The appetite is voracious for the ultimate muscle car with a crazy huge V8 that can burn 100+ octane fuel and smoke the tires.
I’m sure plenty of people will think this car is downright dangerous. I think it stands to reason that with all the available track versions of other sports cars, why not build a drag strip version of a modern muscle car? It’s the only one like it and it will certainly be an exclusive club.
Dodge plans to start building the Demon later this year. By the way, every customer receives one full-day session at the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving in Chandler, Arizona.
Here’s the nutty list of Demon stats, shared by Dodge:
Fastest quarter-mile car in the world; banned by the NHRA
- 840 horsepower and 770 pounds-feet of torque from supercharged 6.2-liter HEMI® Demon V-8 engine makes Dodge Challenger SRT Demon the most-powerful muscle car ever
- Highest horsepower V-8 production car engine ever produced
- First-ever front-wheel lift in production car (2.92 feet) as certified by Guinness World Records
- World’s fastest quarter-mile production car with an elapsed time (ET) of 9.65 seconds and 140 miles per hour (mph) as certified by National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
- Challenger SRT Demon is too fast for the drag strip – officially banned by NHRA
- World’s fastest 0-60 production car: 2.3 seconds
- 0-30 miles per hour: 1.0 second
- Highest g-force acceleration of any production car: 1.8 g
- Air-Grabber™ induction system includes the largest functional hood scoop (45.2 square inches) of any production car
- Significant upgrades to create the Demon engine include:
- Larger 2.7-liter per rev supercharger; increased boost pressure to 14.5 psi
- Higher rpm limit of 6,500
- First-ever factory-production car with innovative SRT Power Chiller™ liquid-to-air intercooler chiller system
- First factory-production car with After-Run Chiller that keeps cooling the supercharger/charge air cooler after the engine is shut off
- First-ever, factory-production car designed to run on 100+ high-octane unleaded fuel or 91 octane on demand
- First-ever, factory-production car with TransBrake for more powerful and quicker launches
- First-ever, factory-production drag car with Torque Reserve, to deliver increased levels of power and torque at launch
- First-ever, factory-production car with front passenger seat delete
- Exclusive, serialized Demon Crate offers components that fully unleash the car’s potential at the drag strip
- Challenger SRT Demon is covered by FCA US LLC factory warranty, including three-year/36,000-mile limited vehicle warranty and five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage
- Performance numbers:
- 0-30 mph: 1.0 second
- 0-60 mph: 2.3 seconds
- Quarter-mile: 9.65 seconds at 140 mph
Are you ready for this Demon to be unleashed?
Photos Courtesy: Dodge/FCA North America